So after the edgy demo, we unfortunately did not have everything compiled together. We were told to get focus on the major implements of them for the mobile integration for the final grading on Tuesday. So my assigned tasks from Friday to Tuesday ( before Tuesday in order to give James sufficient enough time to programme and work with my design assets and implement a compiled mobile version) I had to get the audio integration and lighting sorted out for mobile optimization for the project. So i already had a rough idea, previously testing audio in udk, however lighting i thought would be as straight forward as dropping in a light, however it was not that easy, as i soon realise after in dept research on lighting for mobile, with lightmass.
So from the demo, i learned that plane objects and other elements need to be welded and tightly joined together so that no seaming may occur throughout the level of game in udk, I also noted that objects of the one type (numerous crates) need to be grouped in 3ds max and center pivots and modified with an xform. So once imported into udk and reset the properties to 0 value everything would fall in place. So i eventually got the level design done, thank god.
So when imported into udk actors/objects reset property values to 0. and that immediately laid the level objects out the same way i had them in 3ds max
So today I had to place in part my assets list all on disc. Which will be in the game. I had listed all my audio sounds with mp4 samples and a typed up detail report on how i created the sounds and what effects i applied. I also uploaded all my assets and textures design and shown a current 3ds max layout of my environment progress with rendered out imagery of my assets. I also finished my UI designs from menu’s, buttons, controls,health and instructions. I will publish a list up here:
3d Asset renders
Audio Asset detailed report
Audio Asset List
By: Daryl Mc Mahon
For the games audio I recorded various sounds that are based in all games from simple ambiences to gun shots. I created the sounds in pro tools and applied various effects to help make each sound clear and sharp to keep the user in the games world and not break the flow of the game.
In referencing to image/game objects use of a placement to sound please go to: (Daryl/3d/rendering images)
- Air Pump Pressure: Recorded using the sound creation of a bicycle pump and i then applied filter of eq to it to make it sound more ambience like and atmosphere orientated from vent shaft or roof tiles.
- Alarm: This sound I downloaded and applied a filter effect to change the pitch and harshening it to have more of a bass, through the use of eq. Along with compressing the sound level as it was quite loud originally. This sound will be used as background noise as an intruder alarm sound.
- Computer sound 1: This sound I downloaded and applied eq to pitch rise the sound and applied a slight de-ease to it to help soften through the sound. It will be used on the control panel for the game.
- Computer Sound 2: This sound I downloaded and applied eq to it to slightly raise the pitch through the sound half ways. I then might apply this to space computer.
- Computer Sound 3: This sound i downloaded applied slight eq to it. I could possible use this as an alternative to computer sound 2 for the space computer, just to have variation in sound throughout the game i may apply it on other computers, through the level.
- Door close: I created this sound by bringing in a cardboard tile and scrapping it along the desk right to left, and i then applied eq to deepen the sound and compressor to soften it as it was quite loud when recorded. This will be used when the door will close.
- Door slide 1: I created this sound by bringing in a cardboard tile and scrapping it along the desk left to right, and i then applied eq to help to try and deepen the sound and compressor to soften it as it was quite loud when recorded. This will be used when the door will open.
- Door slide 2: I created this sound by using the cardboard tile again except grinding harder and faster from left to right at which i then applied eq to deepen the sound. This will be used when the door will open.
- Drip: This sound i reused from a previous sound we created in 2nd year for batman game. I just applied a slight eq to heighten the pitch a wee bit. will be used underneath pipes, as they may drip
10. Drone: I downloaded the sound for this and changed it through eq to harshen it by helping to add more bass tone and compress it and de ease it as i felt it was quite loud and hard through the recording. This will be used when the player emits a drone to open doors to progress through the level.
11. Gun Shot 1: This sound I reused from a previous sound we created in 2nd year for batman game, of a toy we had brought in. I just simple applied an eq effect to it to harshening the buzz sound at the end and applied compressor as it was loud. one of the many guns for User to pick up and use.
12. Gun Shot 2: This sound I reused from a previous sound we created in 2nd year for batman game. I just simple applied an eq effect to it to lighten the heavy buzz and also to change it from gunshot 1, a wee bit more. This may be used as enemy weapon of plasma gun
13. Heavy gun: I downloaded this sound and applied a small eq effect to help heighten the sound a small bit from the original. This could possibly be used on loop for the turret sound.
14. Heavy gun 2: This sound i downloaded and applied a small just compressor to help soften and change it from its original sound and this may possible be used as a single pistol bullet shot.
15. Heavy gun 3: This sound i downloaded and applied eq to help soften the tonal range a bit more and compressed it down as it was quite harsh in the rapid firing sound. This sound could possibly be used for a another weapon the user may pick up and use. (please note other guns may or may not make it into game, these are possible sounds, if more guns were added)
16. Ice crackling 1: This was done with bubble wrap twisting slowly and i applied various filtered effects, eq to help raise and harshening the sound to be more stronger and more vivid in depth. May be used for the environmental hazards.
17. Ice crackling 2: This was done with bubble wrap twisting slowly and i applied same eq effects again except this was just used n a different part of the original recording, This sound may be used for environmental hazards.
18. Laser Gun: This sound was downloaded and had eq applied to soften and change the tonal range of the sound of a alien like weapon.
19. Laser Gun 2: This sound was downloaded and had eq applied to it to help increase the bass to the gun trajectory firing sound and it may be used as another alien weapon the user can withhold on their persons character.
20. Light hum: This sound was taken and reused from when i created the batman audio sequence. it may be used for underneath certain lights to add a slight background hum
21. Pick up Sound: This was an original sound that was recorded by me reloading a pellet gun, although the sound recording came out very soft it was hard to get the correct pitch tone i tried using the eq to help get a better balance and level to the sound. it may or may not be used as a weapon pick up sound.
22. pipe Creak 1: This sound was recorded by hitting a radiator with a metal ruler and i applied eq to help lighting the sound and compressor to help reduce the high level of recorded sound.
23. Pipe creak 2: This was using the same method of objects a side creak 1, except this time I rapidly went back and forth from one side to another with the ruler on the radiator, although it was very hard to get the background noise out of it.
24. Pipe creak 3: This was an original recording using a cylindrical piece of cooper pipe hitting the radiator to get a sort of weird creaking sound you may hear from pipes, like in the college labs. I used eq to help soften from the original recording.
25. Pyro start: This was a downloaded sound of a gas lighter and i set eq to heighten it to sound more like a flamethrower sound along with de ease to help get rid of sound over hard noise. may be used as an environmental hazard sound.
26. Pyro middle: This was same recording as pyro start except a different part was used, as it may be used as an ongoing sound to loop in as a flame thrower for an environmental hazard.
27. Reload Gun: This is an original sound recorded and created by reloading a pellet gun and applying an eq effect to softening it, and will be used for reloading guns.
28. rifle gun: This was a downloaded sound and effects were applied such as eq to raise the tone and softening it at the end to transition in z fade out gun sound, you would normally hear from a rifle.
29. Robot walk: This was downloaded and changed quite a bit from the original. I applied drastic changes in eq to deepen and bring through the rigid mechanics of noise in the robots walk as well as a sci-fi filter to get that fines on that robot sound.
30. Spark box: this was a recording i reused from 2nd year project and it was the sound of electric conjugate with power hum and tweaked it a bit as I applied eq to slightly rise the pitch
31. vent hum: this was recorded by recording a hum from a computer and manipulated it in eq to soften the tones to be lighter. And this will be applied to the vents in the game.
32. Injury grunt 1: This is an original recording of me grunting in which i then applied eq to harshening the bass tone up like a male typical grunt you would normally hear in games such as gears of war, battlefield etc… This sound will be used when the player get injured.
33. Injury grunt 2: same method applied just grunt change slightly to give various alternations of injury sounds.
34. Injury grunt 3: same method applied just grunt change slightly to give various alternations of injury sounds.
As an addition I have a library to help with background ambiences and other sounds to help to incorporate into the iphone game engine if required, initially I recorded most of the sounds via myself and previous year. If required I can get aid form the udk sound library but initially i should have near enough sounds to be incorporated into the game Astraeus.
User Interface Designs