Audio and Lightmass research udk – Daryl

So i researched numerous videos in both areas lighting and audio in udk throughout the weekend. I found numerous audio videos that aided me to implement audio in the game:

audio looping/delay/random filter effects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCPHOwopZ60

audio trigger and kismet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0xRLWPybM (this video specially aided me in triggering audio in game dialog, helping tell more of the games story

The ambient sound i created  by placing loops and integration and manipulation of using other audio sounds and placing them on  a random loop/delay amongst other filter effects. Ambient audio effect in Astraeus:

audioScript

audio kismet for dialog trigger. I initially created a trigger for that is set of when a player walk in a set radius i created and in the player doing so they initiate the audio script dialog.

audioKismet

For the rest of the audio in the environment of basic sounds i just dropped in simpleambientsounds with the audio linked to that specific node and applying volume level and radius level as to how far audio would travel.

audio node

And the lighting, oh boy, I had problems with the lighting….. Unfortunately it was not as straight forward as  i would have loved it have been as dropping in a light and lighting up the scene and previewing it in mobile. So after an in depth stud of Youtube and other media sources i found a couple of helpful udk lighting videos for lightmass. Which definitely helped me achieve the great end result that is now in our game.

There were 4/4 parts of videos which helped me achieve a decent light source in the mobile engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDjhOtiyuo&list=PLBcPyqz3OyEtgADhOrqWAsxj07EAQGfFb

Unfortunately as i was listening though the tutorials it was mentioned that the lighting uv channel should be completed and unwrapped in a 3d software program, however seeing how i attached similar objects to one another and grouped,cloned instanced some of the same objects. The orgional uv unwrap for the texture changed due to this, So i had to come up with another solution in the short timescale, as it was not fessiable to complete the lightmap unwrap on all assets in that timescale so i went into udk and generated unique uv for each grouped actor i imported, like so:

light 1

Then once i the option panel after this click apply and you notice this creates a second uv channel for the models/actors to react to lighting in game.

light 2

so now i had to increase the lightmap resolution so that thee is not to much shadow overcast comingfrom each actor/model

light 3

SO now i used added point lights and effected brightest and radius/fall off etc and got the desired look, in which i completed this throughout the environment and when i had this principal followed out with my other assets the result of lighting and in game quality below:

light 35 light 4

 

So then i saved out all my packages and udk file and uploaded it to the drive in which James implemented his programme to the level.

Astraeus Demo – Daryl

So after the edgy demo, we unfortunately did not have everything  compiled together. We were told to get focus on the major implements of them for the mobile integration for the final grading on Tuesday. So my assigned tasks from Friday to Tuesday ( before Tuesday in order to give James sufficient enough time to programme and work with my design assets and implement a compiled mobile version) I had to get the audio integration and lighting sorted out for mobile optimization for the project. So i already had a rough idea, previously testing audio in udk, however lighting i thought would be as straight forward as dropping in a light, however it was not that easy, as i soon realise after in dept research on lighting for mobile, with lightmass.

level layout design and progress – Daryl

So from the demo, i learned that plane objects and other elements need to be welded and tightly joined together so that no seaming may occur throughout the level of game in udk, I also noted that objects of the one type (numerous crates) need to be grouped in 3ds max and center pivots and modified with an xform. So once imported into udk and reset the properties to 0 value everything would fall in place. So i eventually got the level design done, thank god.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

So when imported into udk actors/objects reset property values to 0. and that immediately laid the level objects out the same way i had them in 3ds max